Re: [LUG] Genome@Home / init.d

My Suggestion, which may be flawed.

Pop the script you want to run into somewhere like /usr/local/bin (Binary Exec) or /usr/local/etc (Scripts)

Create a symlink in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d something like S100genome thus

>cd /etc/rc.d/rc5.d
>ln -s s100genome /usr/local/etc/genome

This should should run the script up as a service at boot time, ( I am assuming that the genome thingy is a daemon of some sort)

Now this is where the other LUG members will go, Wot's Rick on about you don't do it like that. If that's the case then we will both learn something

Hope this helps

Rick

Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

I participate in the genome@xxxx distributed processing project http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/

I'd like to run the linux client when I boot up, like I can acheive in the Windows version by ticking the little box ;-) The script needs to be run as root for some reason.

I know I ought to create some kind of link (script?) in the init.d folder, but I'm not quite sure how... I'm running Mandrake 9.0.

Cheers,

Jon

This email has been virus checked by the Eclipse Internet MAILsafe service
www: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/ email: eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ******************************************************************************

-- Regards and Best wishes

Rick Timmis
rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I.T Manager

Super Tramp Ltd:
Super Tramp run their IT systems exclusively on Red Hat Linux and Open Source
Software.
For further information on how free software can benefit your business visit
http://www.redhat.com