From: "Adrian Midgley" <akm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 1:08 PM
Subject: [LUG] Brazilian medical system ->OSS

from openhealth-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is written in Java and implements at least some of the OMG Healthcare
Domain Task Force specifications.  It uses XML heavily
It is all in Portuguese.

This was funded at the national level in Brazil and is in use for
everydayhealthcare by millions of people.
The principals have participated in the OMG HDTF process.

According to Jame Gosling (Java, Sun Microsystems) in an eWeek interview,
Brazil plans to release its national healthcare software under open source

license:

"The Brazilian National Healthcare system has about 10 million lines of
code, Gosling said, and the organization plans to turn its software over
to the open-source movement."

[http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a=34105,00.asp]

An abstract and more information about the system here ( from a

presentation

at JavaOne 2002):
http://servlet.java.sun.com/javaone/sf2002/conf/bofs/display-2798.en.jsp

--