Re: [LUG] ADSL Recommendations

On Friday 01 November 2002 10:30 pm, you wrote:
On Friday 01 November 2002 3:05 pm, andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
   but has no USB port. Do I: -
   get a PCI USB card, and do they work with Linux?
   get a ADSL-Ethernet router and how much extra do they cost?
   get a higher spec PC, with a USB port?

Get an ADSL router. Arround 120, plug and play, full speed, and you can
sell the P90 on ebay for 50.

If you dont want the cost, then get a USB card - which I believe should
work (check before buying using google.com/linux). Ethernet is
1,000,000,000,0000,000000000000000000000000000000,0,0,0,000,0,0,,000 times
better

A higher spec PC is pointless for a router.

Ok, I did some reading: -

PCI ADSL Modem - Least heavy on resources
Ethernet ADSL Modem - Not much worse
USB ADSL Modem - Heaviest on resources

Until I find a driver for a PCI Modem, I think I'll go for Ethernet
(You even get a free hub with them, so that can't be bad)

As for the P90, I might use that for my next project, a Web terminal, saw a
'How to' which explains pretty much what I want.

Andy Weir