From: "Adrian Midgley" <akm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 11:20 AM
Subject: [LUG] practical use of VNC, teleporting etc

I could be accused of playing I suppose, but I looked at the original
Olivetti resaerch lab videos of how they used VNC in house, and did what I
had not done before - set it up that way here.

I've been using VNC for quite some time - on mixed server and client
operating system networks - and like it a lot which will be no news to
most -
jobs like running the NT and Linux servers on the Practice network, and
settling down in front of the fire and TV with my laptop...

But the way they used it was to display even the local desktop on the
local
machine as a VNC session, and when I set that up here it removes the
inconvenience of having two separate desktops.

So I can now go next door and still have the same open tasks to carry on
with
- checking the weather in LA, reading the paper, writing one, that sort of
thing.

I then promptly made life more complex by running a Gnome desktop as well
as
the KDE one, but that doesn't change hte convenience.

Worthwile for companies I'd think, where people can walk into someone
else's
office and then bring their desktop along to them as well as their
colleague's on his machine.

And for meetings...

Anyone doing it, and/or selling support for it in Devon?

--
http://www.defoam.net/