Re: [LUG] crappness help

Steve Marvell wrote:

ssh -X server program &

If the twm is running on the server, then how does it get the DISPLAY?

The X way was Xdmcp (see man xdm), I have to admit I always got
it working by fiddling in the past, or painstakingly following
the HP-UX X terminal manual, and it use to be a case of
"security what is that?".

I think for Xdm each client usually knows it's own name, and the
server then runs a session manager in foreign mode, and sends
the Window manager display back to the named client, but
probably IP addresses will work as well.

The main advantage of Xdmcp comes when you have a choice of
servers to connect to, we use to pick the one with lowest load
(other things being equal), or the one with the right software
installed, development, test or operational... very cool!