Re: [LUG] crappness help

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:02:24PM -0000, Brough, Tom wrote:

Question: What spec are these machines ? Anthing < 32Mb forget
responsive running of X apps (at least on standalone machines).

They are 16MB, the server is 3/4 Gig.

example: I have just upgrade a 486 DX50 (standalone) from 20Mb to
32Mb it made the difference between unresponsive KDE to bearable KDE

Gosh.

Have you tried dillo as the web browers, supposed to be good for low
spec machines but not had a chance to test that myself yet. Downside still
very much under development so it may not have the features you desire.

Browsing the web (http and https) and printing seem to be th required
features. However, not being able to interpret javasript might stink.

Just out of interest, what type of users are these: students, office
workers, power users ?

Novice secondary school children.

Suggestion: Try not to run anything but the X server locally on the
workstations.

twm is the only X app running lcaolly, other than something that will
graphiucally access the local floppy.

even twm takes resources, and if you are running all your apps
off a server then adding any window manager running on the server box should
not affect the workstations performance,

OK, I'll send that off to the server as well then.

usual advise about shutting down every single deamon that you think
you wont need.

Most are sat idle anyway, but point taken.

SSH will kill any low spec machine, all that cryptocrunching is bad
news for low spec machines, are you sure you real need that much
security on a presumably local network?

No, it just seemed an easy option. Are there any special arangements
for remote display I shold think of for debian?

at the moment, the local running twm calls:

ssh -X server program &

If the twm is running on the server, then how does it get the DISPLAY?

      Check your network capacity: Unfortunately when you go very thin
client net traffic tends to increase, remember everything that changes on
any of the workstation screens is being shunted down the network.

Indeed, but needs must ...

      Check your server machine:

The server is a twin 1Gb pentium with 3/4 Gig of RAM, no worries.

      "Windows was faster" - Alas Windows doesnt need to map network into
the display equation. It has always frustrated me that you can just about
run Windows 95 on a 486 / 8Mb Ram while Linux / X / Xapps on the same spec
just dies :-(

They were running a terminal services arangement, not that I
understand how that works in Windows. I look a total wally.

      Tom

Cheers for the advice.

Steve