Re: [LUG] NHS Webmail: £91M

Adrian Midgley wrote:

We had X.400
It never worked.
EGIF now mandates moving from it to IP suite email for the whole of public
life.

Doesn't Exchange use X400, I'm sure it is an integral part
somewhere, does that mean you mustn't use MS Exchange?

X400 is purely a protocol, like all protocols there are good and
bad implementations. You can probably run it over IP these days
if that is mandated.

I think Office Automaton use to use X400 internally, certainly
it supported recalling unread messages and other basic functions
of a sensible e-mail system, seemed to work well enough in it's
time.

Certainly when we moved some OA users to POP3 + SMTP (using
Eudora), they weren't overly impressed, despite having had to
compose messages over a 9600bps WAN link, and having developed
their own shorthand to save key presses, they lost
functionality, even if they gained in performance.

Simon