Re: [LUG] NHS Webmail: £91M

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:11:31PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:

So what might the panel use to provide a webmail and POP3 access (say) for
about 1 000 000 people from about 2-3 locations each.  (Oh, and a directory)

Hmmm. Sounds like exim, imap, pop3 and ldap to me; with a web client on
the end. The web client would be one of the ones kicking about or a 10
line perl script. It's not hard!

High cost, I imagine, would be the security, storage and highly
available network. Having done some really large HA stuff, it's not
more than a few sensible machines clustered and connected to a pair of
EMC monoliths.  Network is a nice set of paired/crossed switches. I
imagine most of that is in place for anything centralised
anyway. You've then got all the DR (done that too) and possible
offsite mirroring of sorts. Not that realtime satelite based disk
clustering costs anything like that. There is also the support issue,
but that's an outsource job.

The kit that runs the part of the Parcelforce National and
International sorting hubs, which I put in, is only 2 HPs, 2 RAID
arrays, 4 fibre channel hubs and 4 network switches.

And could you get it in under £91 e6 forthe first 10 years do you think?

I think I could manage that.

You could build an entire ISP for that, thinking about it.

EDS are giving us, it is rumoured, a proprietary solution for that much.

Giving, or proposing?

I'm up for the "you are taking the piss" kind of counter proposal.

Steve