Re: [LUG] European Copyright Directive Reminder

psutton wrote:

So how do we make back up of our data? If I have mp3 files from a beatles
cd,  and back them up to zip, tape,  etc,  it's still copying copyright
material,  so are they going to ban them too.

The whole point of the legislation is to give the rights holder
control of how their digital data is handled, so if their chosen
DRM system prevents backups, you won't be able to make backup's.

Pulling MP3's from CD's of the future, or whatever replaces them
maybe made more difficult by the legislation. Of course you'll
still be able to plug phono out on your player to your computers
mike in, and record an analog quality copy.

Of course you might have thought when you bought a Beatles CD
you bought the right to listen to the music how and where ever
you like (public performances aside), but actually you only
bought the right to listen to the CD, any other uses you make
may be copyright infringement, and may already be illegal, such
as copying it onto your MP3 player.

Strangely enough the RNIB want the right to make braille copies
of written material, which bit of "the rights holder will
control the way data is used" don't they understand...... ;-)