Re: [LUG] IDE

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 07:08:41PM +0100, Neil Stone wrote:
2) Where can I get a nice Linux based IDE for HTML, PHP, C, C++, Java
etc, etc ?

integrated development environment?

For HTML and PHP I guess you would need something like dreamweaver.  I don't
use stuff like this so search on freshmeat for possiblities.

For C and C++ as well as kylix there is emacs.  Yes I know emacs is complicated
but...hey

As for java, there are a number of editors written in java which run on
linux.  These editors usually support IDE like features.  Of course you
can guess which language these editors support best.  One I tried
briefly which looked nice was jedit ( http://www.jedit.org/ )

I don't use an integrated development environment.  I use a unix shell and
shell tools and vi.  Although if I'm just programming solidly I tend to use
gvim instead, which is a sort of graphical vi

I would usually have several gvim windows open on different source files
Then I'd have several xterms open.  One is for running unit tests,
one might be connected to mysql, one for cvs, one for man pages, one
for running the debugger etc etc