Re: [LUG] Linux in public administration

"Brough, Tom" wrote:

        On the up side several councils / unitaries are looking at the
Aplaws OSS product for content management which follows the proposed e-gif
standards. The only problem we have at the moment is java performance.
Either java will have to inprove its runtime performance....

Java runtime performance is pretty good these days, most slow
Java apps are badly written, and Java gets blamed as a
convenient excuse. Certainly was the case on one of my projects
till I pointed out that if they were going to "reinvent" the
stack object, they shouldn't be moving the whole stack in memory
every time they pushed or popped an item. Given they were
"pushing" every widget onto such a hideous stack, fixing this
helped performance enormously.

Java might take some blame for making it easy to write slow
string handling, but I guess if a programmer didn't understood
that bit of their Java training there is no hope, and code has
to do pretty intensive string handling before it is an issue.

I think Java's biggest perception problem stems from Applets,
which can take a while to load, I think it is the verification
step that hurts here, although I've never timed the different
bits. I seem to remember the proprietary Office clone
(Think!free or what ever it was called) ran reasonably well on
fairly old PC's, although the first download really hurt with
that one.