Re: [LUG] RH 8 impressions

On 12-Oct-2002 at 14:08:46 Matthew Browning wrote:
I thought Red Hat were pretty serious about the free issue compared to
the other similar distributions.  Granted, it has never occurred to me
to inspect the license for Pine.

The problem with nvidia is that RH only have access to the binary - not the
source. As such they will not install binary images into the kernel. There
is no way they can support it for a start. To me this seems logical (Mr.
spock).

So I'm like, ummm, `locate *config* | grep -i X' and I get this
`redhat-config-X' thing which, believe it or not, actually starts an X
server for you to configure using a graphical dialog.  How things have
changed ;)

There are several of these now, do a locate for 'redhat-config'. Some
existed before, and personally I used the 'old ways' :-) Now, of course,
I'll have use whatever is provided.

Some funny jiggery-pokery has happened to all my fonts, although I
haven't had time to find out what yet.

Point to note is that some of the man pages, and perhaps other software,
won't show correctly. The man pages have little squeares instead of hyphens
(not all; just some).

Check your LANG variable - you'll see it's UTF-8 now. I left this for a
while, but it drove me nuts yesterday. I changed /etc/sysconfig/i18n to
include 'LANG=en_GB'. It now all works like before.

(Still got RH7.0 on my P133 at work, I'll be trying RH8.0 on a P350
soon hoping that it is 'reasonable' :-) )

John.