Re: [LUG] Is there any linux that can be installed via serial port

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 09:02:38PM +0100, Paul Weaver wrote:
On Friday 04 October 2002 9:04 pm, Mike wrote:
G'day all,

Subject says it all really.

I have a maxtor box with no keyboard or graphics card, so I need a
distro that will install over a serial port.

Does it even boot up without a graphics card?

In short words, no. You need to boot up from somehwere, which is set in the
bios. Usually (on modern computers), fdd, hdd, cd, (usb?), network.

Only way would be to plug a floppy, net card and graphics card in, install,
then remove everything.

or alternatively remove the hard disk, put it in as a secondary in another
machine, install there and then put it back in the other machine.

I've done this before it works great