Re: [LUG] Is there any linux that can be installed via serial port

On 04.10.2002 21:02 Paul Weaver wrote:
On Friday 04 October 2002 9:04 pm, Mike wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> Subject says it all really.
>
> I have a maxtor box with no keyboard or graphics card, so I need a
> distro that will install over a serial port.

Does it even boot up without a graphics card?

In short words, no. You need to boot up from somehwere, which is set
in the
bios. Usually (on modern computers), fdd, hdd, cd, (usb?), network.

Only way would be to plug a floppy, net card and graphics card in,
install,
then remove everything.

Nope, this is a maxtor maxattach box, there is not even a slot to stick a graphics card.
it's running freebsd at the moment, I wanted to stick a linux distro, since that is what I know.
freebsd does look for a serial port.

I suppose I could build a distro to look for it.

Maybe I should just build it on another box and swap the disks over...

 --
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\