Re: [LUG] Power off shutdown

Hmmm.

That's just a script that does a shutdown -p

Marten,

What's your make & model of PC hardware? Do you actually have a Power
ON/Off button? Why not just press it? ;o)

I've seen boxes that stay permanently in stand-by and need an extra poke
to actually stutdown (ie. via Windows as you say).

The "quality" of the shutdown command does seem to vary from disto to
distro (and version to version). When I used RH5.5, shutdown -p wouldn't
on my HP Brio but with RH7.2 it does now. I guess the shutdown command
"just" needs the right hook to the BIOS - maybe a google using your Mobo &
BIOS version along with "shutdown -p" might illicit some clues?

Mart

I use 'poweroff' on my Redhat install

Alex.

Quoting admin <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Debian

In a terminal I type:

halt

to close down. After a bit the screen tells me I cn power down.

Unfortunately, I can't do that I have to press reset on my box and let
it
boot into Windows and shut down and power off that way!

I have tried:

halt -p

shutdown -p

but nothing seems to work.