Re: [LUG] OK so I've installed msttcorefonts...

I have not yet got around to installing lots of truetype fonts on my new
Debian 3 system but it is a job I need to do.   The Debian package
"msttcorefonts" is, I understand, designed to download and install the
Microsoft core fonts, but, as you say, Microsoft has stopped giving them away
so I guess it will not work.  This may mean that you will have to do the
whole job the hard way, but you will at least get to know a little more about
how your system works along the way.

The .exe files you have may well be self-extracting executables or some sort
of auto installing fonts.  Whatever the case it will probably be best if you
can find a windows machine to put them on and run them there.

If you are extracting fonts from a windows machine look in the /windows/fonts/
directory for files ending .TTF (or .ttf) . These are the font files you need
to copy to your linux box.

There are detailed instructions on installing truetype fonts for Debian at:
http://www.paulandlesley.org/linux/xfree4_tt.html . Follow the instructions
for installing non packaged fonts.  I can't say I have done this myself, so I
can't vouch for the quality of the instructions, but I will do in the near
future unless someone has any other suggestions they can offer.   It's a job
for a good shell script, not a human :)

Cheers

Tony