Re: [LUG] SSHD Problems....

--- Neil Stone <Neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > Howdy
all...

I have 4 PC's on my lovely little network, SSH works
just dandy from and
to 2 of them, to one of them, and the other is
Win95. The problem i have
is SSHing to the 1 pc that is not letting SSH
inbound.

I am assuming that, 'the 1 PC' is a linux? ;)
I guese the first step is to find out if the sshd
daemon is running (as a stand alone process)

at a shell prompt type: ps -e | more

If it is not running then that is obviously a problem,
to start sshd daemon type:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start or
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ssh start or
service sshd start or
service ssh start or
(hopefully one should work)

now re-type:
ps -e | more

you should now see the sshd running as a background
process (daemon).

If sshd daemon is already running it could be a
software fire wall problem, the easyest way to see if
this is your problem is to disable it (if it is
runnning).
To do this type:
setup

If you have 'setup' as part of your distribution then
tab to firewall and then select the 'No firewall'
option.

I you find that this is the solution to your problem
and you need/want a firewall you can customise it
(using the 'setup' tool) to let through ssh requests
(port 22).

It could also be inetd problem, e.g. the inet daemon
has already binded to port 22 thus not letting your
stand alone sshd daemon to bind to it.

Another thing you could try is to try to connect
locally i.e. go on to the pc with the problem and type
ssh localhost or
ssh 127.0.0.1 (I think)

what distrobution are you using?

From