Re: [LUG] kppp weirdness

Adrian

So during the 2nd outage I was surprised to see an absolutely blank kppp
form, and an instruction to su and chown the onfig file, which on
inspection
I did not have.

I'm currently running Redhat 7.2 - I don't know what version of kppp that
uses. On older versions of Redhat (and presumably older kppp versions
too), I've seen the same instruction. At the time, my Googling found that
this was a known issue when the user was not logged into their box as root
- apparently some of the bits kppp used needed root rights to bring them
up.

I understand that this is no longer a problem with the kppp that comes
with RH7.2 but I don't use kppp any more so can't verify it for you.

Rather than trying to run ppp from my linux box, I've installed Smoothwall
GPL (http://www.smoothwall.org) on an old 486. It acts as a dial-up router
and does some groovy firewall stuff too. Works a treat on my ISDN. The
latest GPL version supports USB I believe.

Mart