[LUG] Help share the broadband cost, The Linux Way

Hi,

I friend Phil wants broadband and will share the cost of the fees and
provide hardware to anyone in semi-perminant accomidation around St.
Davids. Can you see a large evergreen wood across the Ex in a W - NW
Direction from the city centre. About 1km upstream of the university on
the opersite side of the Ex. and about 1 1/2 km upstream of St. Davids?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=289780&y=94820&z=3&sv=289500,94500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

I'm serious, I'm talking about a leaf project router as a gateway with a
802.11b device (linksys/netgear/lucent) connected to some flavour of
pringles. ( It works )

There would be an agreement of bandwidth usage etc, simple stuff
controlled via tc.

But yes a subsidised broadband is available for anyone having difficulty
meeting the cost alone ( Hay get a 1Mbps connection instead of that
512Kbps package because we'll help share the cost )

Living out of reach of ADSL is huge a frustration. Community Networks
are springing up all over the place. So why not in the Ex Valley?

Sorry that this might seem a bit off topic, but I see Linux as more than
just a coding thing. Linus once said you've got to "DIY", Wireless
networks are about people saying to Telcros, "We don't need you". Well
not for the last mile at least.

Laters,
Bill.