RE: Re: [LUG] Firewall - info and reviews

Paul Hewson wrote:

I know of IpCop as a firewall, but wondered what there might be that could run
on the machine it is protecting.   I think Firestarter (a Gnome project) can
run on the same machine it is protecting.

SuSE have a personal firewall bundled, I took one look and went
yuk.

I have rolled my own with IP chains - it is not great, and I
wouldn't recommend it as a route to go.

I've yet to see anything that inspires confidence, although
there are a LOT of attempts to simplify IP Chains or IP Table
admin on stand alone boxes, to do a solid firewall product
requires some pretty intimate knowledge of the Linux IP stack.
Although for many purposes NAT on the FW box gives you a good
first line for boxes behind it, admin of the box with the
firewall on requires great care if you run other stuff on it.

I know my personal firewall is open to some basic attacks,
although they are beyond my abilities to hack (and I don't fancy
the effort involved), and closing the weaknesses down would be
annoyingly restrictive for the gain in security.

--

I have used a package called EasyTables and EasyChains (one iptables, one ipchains..
funny that...)

Works very well for me, it generates a script file (Firewall.sh) which you can edit
in nano/pico/vi or whatever your fave editor is (lets not start that argument) and
customize the rules, add and remove open ports and who is able to connect.. Hey if i
can use it.. anyone can...

(no comments on that guys.. be nice)

Neil