Re: [LUG] multiprogramming

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 20:18, Jon Lawrence wrote:
Multiprogramming - Ain't never heard of it.

Tsk, youngsters eh? :-) For multiprogramming think basically
multitasking/multiprocessing. It is basically all the same.

Multi-tasking - AFAIK, there is only one sort. Performing two ooperations
simultaineously. Anything else is a fudge.

No, there are two sorts (see below). A single processor can 'multi-task'
- it's basically time-sharing. You use the scheduler ('preemptive
multitasking') to give each task a time slice. Because the processor
performs many instructions per second it 'seems' like it is performing
more than one task at a time. It isn't it's just doing it extremely
quickly.

Single processing systems can do it. Take a look at the new Pentium IV xeons.
They can use 4 way processing using just 2 processsors so long as the code
doesn't try to access the same part of the chip at the same time - how god
only knows.

If the instructions cannot be accessed on both processors then I suspect
the use of 2 processors is more to do with the pipelining than
multitasking as such.

On another note is there 2 forms of multi tasking ?

Yes. There is also non-preemptive (or cooperative) multitasking. There
is no scheduler since each task will run until it decides it can give up
the cpu - the advantage is less overhead, but has the obvious
disadvantage that other processes could hang up if a process runs for a
long time on the cpu! As far as I know this is what Windows uses.

multitasking and pre-emptive (the latter which Linux does),  as well as
multi processing which is slightly different,

In what way is 'multiprocessing' different? I don't think it is.

John

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK       Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx