Re: [LUG] Linux 2.4.19 lockups (Part 2)

This maybe not a linux kernel problem i have seen this when the cpu fan is on
its way out or full of dust???

Darren Ward

On Friday 09 August 2002  7:39 pm, you wrote:
Well the mystery deepens... Moved a monitor and keyboard to the console,

and

there was no kernel panic message or something.  I could type in root to
login, but it would not prompt me for a password.  And also the logs show

no

clues.

hmm, i've seen this a number of times on many different kernel versions -
mostly back in the dodgy 2.4 days though.

A couple of other pointers, seems Intel Etherlink Express Pro 100 cards

are

a little unreliable under Linux, though I've never had trouble myself.

absolutly no way at all imho, the eepro100 drivers are probably the most
stable, fastest, and most well suported in linux, except maybe some of the
3com ones.

the eepro1000 (gigabit) ones have a few proelsm with cisco cat's with the
linux drivers, but this has been fixed in ios 12.1

i take it you are using the open source drivers, and not the intel ones?

i've been using the eepro's for some heavy traffic stuff, running some
servers with 10 ports on 4 eepro's - these boxes have never given me any
trouble, in way of network, and they areshifting a *lot* of traffic, and
have been for a long time (they are primary route sorry servers for our
ASBR's).

the eepros' go into every server i spec, all of the telehouse servers, and
all of my house ;)

imo, they are *the* only nic for servers, i've yet to find a decent other
one that can perform as well under high strain,

ohh, this all applies to the eepro _server_ adapters, not the standard home
one...

;-)

Also
on another BBS, someone running a web farm has similar symptoms as well,

his

summary was "it crashed in userspace, but the kernelspace was still
running."

what did ?

 ~ Theo

PS: I'm being forced to use windows right now, ARGHGHGHGGH!
*bzzzz* of telehouse for the weekend :(