Re: [LUG] Star Office, GPL licenses & Open Local Government ?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 06:12:40PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
"Brough, Tom" wrote:
My boss has just called me into his office and asked me to explain "GPL in
one sentence".

Free as in free speech, but not as in free beer. :)

I am reading the recent Sam Williams biography about Stallman. It
clarifies some bits and pieces, I recommend it.
http://www.faifzilla.org/

Think of it like the GNU Hurd - it will replace Linux, just not
soon.

Pardon? GNU/Linux is unstoppable ! Hurd is waste of effort imho.

I suggest get a CD with OpenOffice on, install it on Linux and
Windows, and play with it a bit. Then show your boss a flashy
document, and import some Word documents that he'll know.
Explain the price (he'll like that) and have some research on
support costs (if any).......

The support costs can be a bumph to your salary. ;)

Of course there is a support cost!

 Simon, realising your next question is training, although to be
honest for what most people use of word processors if they know
Office they'll just drive it.

I can tell you, it has been an uphill struggle with my parents. It has
taken more than a few arguments over the dinner table and what have you
to switch to Mozilla from IE and OE !

-Kai
--
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hendry