Re: [LUG] Oh the Horror!

Simon Waters wrote:

Lee Quick wrote:

My Isp has just changed its telephone number, and for some
bizarre reason the dial-up only works

In m$?

This guy has most ISPs nicely summed up nicely, and a document to save bacon.

Afraid it is biased to RedHat/Mandrake, and doesn't do that Kppp
stuff - pppd is your friend ;)

The useful bit is to switch on pppd debugging (note the
syslog.conf changes), and note the authentication protocol being
requested - m$chap maybe? - then you'll need an
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets file.

Or you could ask your ISP what they changed - hahahahahahaha
bonk.

"The key problem in hooking up a PPP link to an Internet Service
Provider (ISP) is that the ISP's seem to compete with each other
as to who can find another obscure way of authenticating users.
Thus we have login, PAP, CHAP 05, CHAP80, CHAP80-lanman, CHAP81,
... and combinations of these. The chief difficulty of
connecting to an ISP is discovering which technique is actually
being used by the ISP in an orderly way. Since few of them know
anything about Linux, and since few of them even understand what
technique they actually use, this procedure should allow you to
set up without their help, or to understand what their help
means if it
is given. "

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

Ahhhhhh cheers matey the PAP to CHAP bit rings a varied collection of bells ;)
And there was me believing my ISP when i asked them at 50p per minute and they came
out with the gem 'well other people using unix stuff connect to our service ok'
note the highly technical use of the words unix Stuff :)

Thanks again for info Simon.

lee.