Re: [LUG] Re: jobs

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Simon Waters wrote:

Steve Marvell wrote:

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:30:15PM +0100, Adrian Midgley wrote:

I notice the web department at Devon County Council wants some people.

County Hall, Exeter, Full Time, Web Designers 4 posts, Scale 1-3 9267
- 13,500 depending on experience

That's disgusting!

What that they need four people to maintain their websites, or
that the council don't pay great.

Both?  One expert person on £37068-54000 could doubtless do a much
better job, but would upset the established order.

They will of course expect to get technician-level skills; monkeys
who don't understand the Web, but can drive GUI-based applications
sold to them by snake-oil merchants.

Four posts???  Well, if you can't hack a ten-minute Perl script
to automate things, then you're doomed to labour-intensive
manual processess.  Maybe one or more of the four will have some
scripting ability, and they can all sit twiddling their thumbs
until the PHBs clamp down on unauthorised working practices and
hound the guilty party out.

Low pay?  Well, they're technician posts, aren't they?
What they're envisaging is no different to some lowly secretary
with "IT skills" running Word and Excel.

Very few of the people I know down here seem to be on
substantially more than that kind of money unless they are in an
established professions, or highly skilled IT posts.

Really?  I know that's true here, but I thought Exeter was where
south-east England starts.  Perhaps that's what you meant with
the mere existence of "highly skilled IT posts"?

We have standards, but just no awareness of them amongst the Suits.
That's why so much of the Web is such a dire mess.

--
Nick Kew