Re: [LUG] Re: jobs

Steve Marvell wrote:

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:30:15PM +0100, Adrian Midgley wrote:

I notice the web department at Devon County Council wants some people.

County Hall, Exeter, Full Time, Web Designers 4 posts, Scale 1-3 9267
- 13,500 depending on experience

That's disgusting!

What that they need four people to maintain their websites, or
that the council don't pay great.

Very few of the people I know down here seem to be on
substantially more than that kind of money unless they are in an
established professions, or highly skilled IT posts.

As an American friend said back in 1997 I think, the UK is two
years behind the US, every house school kid is designing
websites in their back room in the US, and there is no money in
it any more.

It will take a while to establish quality standards in an
industry, and IT has a long way to go, until you establish some
sorts of standards prices will stay deflated.

Even when they do come in, so many people are in the business,
prices will stay low.