Re: [LUG] huge file recurring, hiding

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 00:32, you wrote:

du has not been helpful.
nor has find all todays files and order by size.  It is hiding.

Anyway, what are the observed symptoms that lead you to this conclusion?
Sounds improbable to me, although a corrupted filesystem can lead to
things that seem highly improbable.  Have you fsckd it?

akm@xxxxxxx:~ > df -h
/dev/hda3              36G   35G  133M 100% /
/dev/hda1              23M  5.4M   16M  25% /boot
/dev/hdb1              19G   11G  8.1G  57% /2
shmfs                 356M     0  356M   0% /dev/shm
//jupiter/vpop3       4.0G  3.9G  118M  98% /mnt/mail
/dev/hdc              647M  647M     0 100% /media/cdrom

Not fsckd because if possible I want to keep the system up, fix it, and then
set up something to observe it before it gets to critical size again and deal
with it.

Again, filesystem damage springs to mind, but another observation is
that if you delete a file that something has open, you delete the
filesystem reference, but the OS can't reclaim its space until
the application closes it.  In the case of ~/.Xsession-errors,
dropping to the commandline and deleting it from there would
fix that particular problem.

I expected it to...
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley