Re: [LUG] Using Linux as a desktop OS

On Monday 22 July 2002 11:59 am, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

After using kde3 on my desktop quiet happily wihtout having to tweak a
thigns for months, i can honestly say linux is almost ready the be the
average users desktop, imho.  it does hwoever need to be setup first, which
i can't see my parents doing just yet (the meantal-image of my mother
editing an X config file is just hilarious) ;)

That was the point of my earlier mail. SuSE 8.0 installed with KDE3
ready to use. I didn't have to tweak it all. Even the wife could have
installed it. imho Linux as a desktop OS is already a viable propositon
providing you use a distro aimed at the novice/typical M$ user..

My bro is getting a non Mac machine soon so I'll see if he can install
SuSE 8.0. He's just a user (hence the Mac) and knows nothing of
Linux. I'll let you know how he gets on.

Keith
--
SuSE 8.0 Linux on 700Mhz AMD Duron with 128MB RAM
and 20GB Maxtor HD using KDE's Kmail