Re: [LUG] Fwd: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 released

Steve Marvell wrote:
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:33:39PM +0100, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

Wooooo Woooooo Wooooo!

o/~ Lay down and boogie and play that funky music 'til you die. o/~

*much strutting of funky stuff*

i have been working with debian and windows in equal measure recently - and the difference is...

working with windows has been DLL hell!!! servers don't respond - or crash - an application to install word templates on multiple systems has been a pain in the ass - win98, win NT, win 2000, win XP are NOT the compatible enough. installing custom written DLL's has been nothing but trouble. and it makes me feel that i want to find another job!?!

working on PHP/apache/debian/postgresql/mysql is ENJOYABLE!!! things work (the jdgraph library for PHP makes really impressive graphs - and lets face it - nothing impresses clients more than pretty pictures!!) the linux server (P133 based 40MB RAM) is always there and does what it says on the tin. making client machines message back to the server using XML/HTTP has been FUN!!! its interesting to see reults coming back from all over the world.

hopefully debian can now start to replace ALL windows servers - my boss has gradually moved from windows-only to linux-used-in-parts because he has seen it in action (and likes the price!!!!)

next step, the desktop - and yes - i think we can win it.

kev

Steve