Re: [LUG] Have you tested your firewall?

Neil Williams wrote:

On Thursday 04 Jul 2002 12:31 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
Steve Marvell wrote:
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:53:46AM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
I need some guinea pig networks to update my vulnerability
assessment procedures against. Preference given to those
unlikely ever to be able to pay for the service ;)

How do you propose to work it? Will it be started from a webscript or will I
have to email you with the dynamic IP allocated to me once online? Are you
looking for people who actually provide services through the firewall rather
than those (like me) who just deny everything?

It would be run manually from here. I'll need to get permission
more formally, irritating as it may be Demon are very strict on
such things, and I really can't afford to lose the domain.

I have focused more on those with static IP addresses, or
webservers. Not that dynamic IP addresses make you safer from
automatic exploits, but they can make deliberate attacks quite
painful to execute.

Things that genuinely deny everything are a bit boring, most
people with a fixed IP allow mail in somewhere.... have DNS
servers (even if not their own), routers, and the like. Some
even have firewalls which is what I was hoping to start working
on next.

Simon