Re: [LUG] point of named pipes?

Named pipes are part of the file system, so that rules out networking
really, unless you use NFS (Warning: kludge alert).

Now AFAIK the main uses of named pipes are for simple interprocess
communications, without the overhead of AF_UNIX sockets (or even
AF_INET).  For example /dev/log is a named pipe I think, used for
communication with syslogd locally.

These days people do tend to just use AF_INET sockets and connect to
loopback.

J.