Re: [LUG] Eurpoean Computer Driving Licence and Non-MS Operating Systems

On Tuesday 02 July 2002 18:27, > Terence McCarthy wrote:
It appears from the various sites relating to the ECDL that only Microsoft
o/s are supported (

b. That any o/s and appropriate software is (or is to be) considered as a
suitable vehicle for ECDL qualification,

I think you'll find that in principle the programme and qualification is
OS-agnostic.

So what is required in order to study for and take an examination for the
ECDL while using Open Source software?

Only this - the courses on offer and recognised are run by companies[1] and I
am unaware at present of one that has chosen to do this on OSS or FS.

Now, having regard to the various meanings of company, how do we change that,
and would it be necessary or desirable to provide a parallel course using
products of closed source suppliers such as IBM, Novell and whoever makes VMS
or just illustrate the lessons with examples of how certain some suppliers'
on some OS' have wound up doing the same thing?

[1]  Company: a band of people joined for a common enterprise, often military
or economic.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/