DCOP was Re: [LUG] kfmclient

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Monday 01 July 2002 23:07, you wrote:
On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:42:56PM +0000, Adrian Midgley wrote:
I've been looking at automation in the KDE.

What sort of automation? Saving the session? Automatic logging in?

Well, more like extracting details from a database, composing a
message/document using them and some additional text, and then emailing it or
storing it in an appropriate place.

KDE has automation through DCOP for KMail, I'm not sure to what extent it is
useful as an office integration tool though.

I think it probably meets the basic need here. kdcop is your
friend.

dcop changes betwix 2 and 3, with lots more functionality
appearing in KDE3.

The GNOME crowd (well Miguel but his opinion still counts I
think) seem to think DCOP is okay, so it could end up in GNOME
as well.

These seem lesser trodden paths (or perhaps those doing it don't
need to stop and ask for help ;). Perl and Java both do dcop, or
you can use "dcop" as a simple script interface.

Anyone got a book on these things to recommend, or a great deal
of experience they care to share?

Some mail clients can do most of this via the command line, i.e.
a script to prepare data and just use the mail client as a
glorified sending vehicle (sendmail++ ;) once things are ready.

You can of course bypass the apps altogether and use
SMTP/LDAP/IMAP directly, which I still hold has much going for
it, including not having to rewrite/retest with every "KDE / KDE
apps" upgrade.

Maintenance costs depends on the number of components.... If you
can do it all in Java with standard protocols, or all in PERL
with standard protocols and maybe Perl/tK,  you avoid dependance
on KDE/GNOME/Linux(?) and other great edifices.

The whole thing is too like using Word Basic for my liking -
what bit of Java don't you understand ;) - especially since it
is application specific rather than a "mail" subset (Not that
MAPI is much better).

Your mission should you choose to accept it is a KDE3 kmail
virus ;), or explain why it can't be done (lack of KDE3 users is
no excuse - it could scan the KDE developer site for targets ;)