Re: [LUG] [pohanlon@cornwall.gov.uk: Cornwall County Council Website]

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:59:23PM +0100, Kai Hendry wrote:

----- Forwarded message from O'Hanlon Pam <pohanlon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

Cornwall County Council has adopted certain software for the support of its
website for a variety of reasons.

Our website was written by my sister's 8 year old son one summer
holiday for 3 conkers and a packet of crisps.

It is hoping to move to a web content management system next year.

You know that's not going to help :)

The Council has made great efforts already on the usability front but is
always willing to improve. It has commissioned an independent survey on this
very topic.

To the tune of 20 thousand pounds for my sisters son, now 21, who has
recently graduated and is working for a local web "consultancy".

The Council does have to comply with Government Guidelines

WHich are cack, and varied.

which look to make sites available to the majority of users, not
just those with the latest versions.

Have we missed the point?

The Council is planning a revamp of its site towards autumn, with feedback
from a range of sources included.

Lots of people took the piss. Lots of people didn't care.

The work will be done in-house,

Since my sister's son would like a new job.

unless there are specific issues which would
be better addressed by external sources.

[steve: I can't think of anything suitable to go in here :]

In this eventuality, either tenders are let according to County
Council procedures or contractors recruited through Jobline or
adverts placed in the press.

According to my local council source, tenders are given to whoever is
in the right place at the right time and chargest the least,
irrespective of quality.

I suspect his sister's son will go contracting at that point :)

Steve