Re: [LUG] Home Networks

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

i use the orinoco gold cards, and they are pretty good, range wise - reach
half way down my road (Salisbury Rd in plymouth - it's looooong) on a good
day.

Agreed - Prism 2 is cheap and sucks. Orinoco cards work well
with Linux as well.

however, in my flat in london, it only just reaches to the front door - some
kind of intererance i guess but never worked out what.  The wall's aren't
*that* thick.

But what are the walls made of? Microwaves are damn tricky
things.

an interesting dicovery i found when i had a party at my house and we were
playing with it - if every turned their mobile phones off, the range was
better.  Though i don't see how 15 odd mobile phones could affect it, it
cerrtianly did.

Mobile phones are very powerful microwave transmitters, so some
interference is to be expected. I'm assured leaky Microwave
ovens are worse, but mine doesn't interfere so maybe it doesn't
leak much.

Strange in the ionizing radiation debate people panic about
siting mobile telephone masks near schools, then put their
mobile to their ear, whilst cooking dinner in a microwave, and
watching TV. A fault in the TV or microwave is likely to be far
more dangerous....

X rays machines, airliners, nuclear power, and coal mining
should all obviously be banned, as should package holidays
anywhere in the tropics.

almost 2 years ago we did some experimental range testing with a number of
Estate agents in outer london, the idea was to build up a grid off them to
offer hi-speed wavelan access across london to the estate agents.  We were
using directional antennas and got from richmond where our main offices were
to sheen, about 4 km - the speed was only 2mbit.  in the end we gave up
playing, as we had better thigns to do, and the legal situation was a bit
sticky ;)

The legal situation is much simpler now.

Doing a farm big Omnidirectional antennas are good for base
stations - maybe a little one to go on the roof of the tractor
;). I think the regulations still limit the antenna to 15
dbi.... We have some evil, and possibly illegal plans, which
involve taping USB cards to the focus of an old satellite dish,
but we couldn't condone this or the use of untested Pringle can
antennas.