Re: [LUG] Dr Midgley

On Thursday 27 June 2002  8:20 am, you wrote:
I just wondered why you. I would have thought the problem with
stockpiling vaccines is you can't predict the choice of agent
(except through intelligence).

There are a limited number that the engineering is known to be worked out
for, and many potential agents are believed to be so dangrous that they are
unlikely to make it as far as weapon deployment (Tokyo for instance escaped a
lot of harm because the system of deplyment of Sarin was such that to get an
effective release would have been highly likely to certain to kill the
triggering attacker - well biologicals are harder to work with)

I think it is reasonable to note that among the peopel who know something
about these things, you are likely to find manufaturers of vaccines rank
quite highly - who else would know the problems and be able to give advice or
bid.

On a more serious note, given the amount of free ( or GPL or open or public
domain) medical software loafing round why is it that the NHS is so tardy
in promoting Open / Free software.   It must employ thousands of people who
couldn't do their jobs without it, and hundreds who write the stuff?

I'm working on it, OK.
We do need public knowledge, medical professional awareness, political
awareness, and the big one is assurance of support in depth and breadth - get
federating so as to offer this.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/