Re: [LUG] Dr Midgley

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 10:54 am, you wrote:
Anyone else see him on tv ?

We have no control over what the media find newsworthy, but as well as the
stem of the motion that calls for adequate vaccine stocks (next year we'll
propose that motherhood and applepie are good things) there is a reference to
international surveillance for infections diseases (+/- biological agent
attacks or essapes)

<ob.opensource>

In the US dave Forslund et al at Los Alamos National Laboratory have produced
a Java (I think) set of Open SOurce programs to assist in the epidemiology
needed to pick up the first signs of epidemic.  (Like hearing hooves, and
immediately thinking of Zebras)

Also in the UK though not specifically related to the motion in question, the
public health laboratory service in Wales developed an infection control
program, in Delphi on, regrettably, a closed source operating system, and
this also is open sourced, within the confines of the NHS due to lawyer
nervousness.

There is some movement on our aim to produce an NHS OSS licence, and Crown
CopyLeft kit, no garantees but progress is at least possible.

<ob.opensource>

There is also another motion in the Exeter & East Devon package, calling for
the preferential use of OSS in healthcare, and the evaluation of one of the
existing US systems - VISTA.  We'll see if there is time to debate that one
and if the meaning can be got across.  unfortunately I'm not going to that
conference this year.

Did you notice I was networked in from Pebble Mill - I was up there for other
reasons and got to it on a rather tall stool, hence the slight woodenness and
lack of movement.  Ben MP was in a comfy chair obviously<g>

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/