Re: Mail Issues (was [LUG] OpenSSH Vunrability)

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 2:51 pm, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:

hmmmmmm.

this just gave me an idea, that could be useful.  Mail passes between mail
servers, and gets scanned in my case ohh to many times, each time wasting CPU
usage on the mail server in question, when all it really needs is one scan.

Hey we could do that one scan on the client machine, then we
only need to test for applicable viruses as well, I mean
scanning my incoming mail for Windows viruses is going to help
me a lot - NOT.

how about some sort of system with a colabaritive list of mail servers peers
that scan mail for viruses and admins trust, and each one adds the mail
signature in some way to the headers, saying it's been scanned and is clean,
if the down/upstream mail server recognises it, it skips the scan.

It has a fair few flaws - people running servers may keep definaitions out of
date, or not extract mime mails properly and miss viruses, etc, etc..

Hehe - and unpacking those nice 2GB empty files malicious people
send you just to test your mail servers virus checking software
isn't susceptible to known DoS attacks ;)

comments?

The more I think about it the more I think security should be
built into the OS to provide more defence, before we try and get
clever. How many average users in a corporate environment need
to be able to execute programs from their own disk space.....
Okay it is the antithesis of the PC revolution..... Give me
mainframes, just make them run something more modern, and more
secure than MVS.

and i've started to see lots of probes on port 22 on our networks, 6 this
morning so far - way more than normal.

It will make a change from MS SQL server according to DShield.