Re: [LUG] more study required - RE: What I've found so far XML

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 07:09:56PM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

what would you use to write an SGML doc? notepad?

emacs is (can be made) SGML-aware.

It is by default, in fact.

But more generally, yes, XML is much bigger.  I think the overriding
reason for that is the fact that the XML specs are available online,
while the SGML specs are fiercely guarded and expensive, raising
the barrier to entry.

I think it's because XML is easier to parse, allowing it to be used
for "in time" applications such as web stuff. If you developed a
plugin, it'd be massive and consiquently take ages to download, if it
were SGML compliant.

Steve