Re: [LUG] more study required - RE: What I've found so far XML

Steve Marvell wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 08:53:46AM +0100, Matthew Browning wrote:

Yes, you can write your documents in Notepad.  Microsoft also supply an XML
editing tool called XML-Notepad which is okay, but what about XML being the
*output* of another application eh?  How about that?

Does this tool take a DTD or Schema, or is it just a nice formatting tool?

Nothing to get excited about: it presents your XML file as a tree view which you can expand or compress and the stuff that goes between the tags is shown as Excel-type cells, empty or otherwise (and in one dimension).

You could knock it up in Perl/Tk quite easily. I was going to once but then I couldn't be bothered.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<comments type="only_slightly_ironic">
        <hint type="to_anyone_listening">
                Might do it now since no one seems to want to employ            me...
                </hint>
</comments>

You probably don't want to use it, although I have for simple editing under NT before. The hidden value I found was in getting people to enter data that you then want to be in an XML format without bogging them down with this well-formedness marlarkey.

> You'll be one of those "use strict and -w" perl programmers then. Pah!

Oooh, don't get me started on strictiness! What about -T?

MB