RE: [LUG] Ssearching previous terminal ouput

On 10-Jun-2002 at 10:45:08 Ian P. Christian wrote:
From: John Horne
An odd subject line I admit! Okay, using redhat 7.0 and KDE,
I start up a shell/terminal (kconsole). Unzip and untar a
package and run the configure program. No problem I'm sure
most of us have done that :-) However, I want to 'search' the
output displayed in kconsole from the configure program to
try and find something (a word). I'm sure someone said it
could be done from a long time ago, but I have no idea how.
Anyone any ideas?

I personally would do $ ./program > file.txt
Then you can grep that file.

Does that help?

No. Here's the reply I just mailed someone else who suggested the same thing:

 Nope, that's not the question :-) It could be any program, I just happened
 to be running configure at the time. I want to search what is displayed on
 the screen. I *could* redirect it to a file, but it would be far easier to
 search the 'screen'. Saves faffing around with files and then deleting
 them, etc. The question is probably very generic - 'using X11 how can I
 search an xterm's output' may have been better. The fact I am using
 redhat/KDE and was running configure is not important.

John.