RE: [LUG] A puzzlement

Greetings,

Can anyone please explain the reason how I received an email
today from
MowDirect which has the same From, To and Reply-to addresses.

David Bell
Hatherleigh

Just to go slightly into more detail here.

IIRC (can't be bothered to look), SMTP is outlined RFC 821.  The SMTP
standard doesn't contain any checks, other then sanity checks, on the
'from' address specified.  This means, that you can send emails from any
address you want to.  Also, as already stated, you can send the mail to
yourself, and just put the real recipients on the BCC (blind carbon
copy) field.  If you want to know more about how SMTP works, check the
RFC.

All that's happened here, is you seem to have been added to a spam list.
I personally advise, and some might disagree with me here, that you
install spamassassin.  I get about 60 mails a day, and in the time I've
been running spamassassin, I've had one false positive, and about a 90%
hit rate of spam detection.  It's a wonderful system, and I have a
report on my homepage of how to set it up, along with virus scanning
(among other things) on my home page, if you want to look, and don't
know where my home page is, contact me privatly. I  don't want the
document getting out quite yet, cos it's not finish and might not
reflect the configuration needed for the latest release of amavis, and
has yet to cover amavisd setup.

HTH