Re: [LUG] Debian

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 07:33:48PM +0100, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
sadly debian does lack a *really* good "easy" installer, but because it's text
based it makes installing over the network a lot easier (though i belive most
dists have a text based installer? rh used too), i've found installing
mandrake on scarly large boxes makes it squeal a bit, debian breases (sp)
through.  Most dists also fail if the box is headless - debian seems ot work
fine (slackware works, too).

imo the text based installer of debian works great. but expect "easy" or
crappy graphics installers when woody comes out:
http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/

I did try a beta text woody bootdisk, and there is some cool framebuffer
thing going on, which is nice.

However, as a desktop, debian does lack some qualities - kde3 still isn't out
on packages, but thats partly because of what kevin mentioned, things are
tested over and over before they get anywhere near "general" public packages.

kde3 is a complicated matter. All things GNU take a higher priority, but
I have been using kde3 BETA debs for a while now. And they seem fine.
The main reason why it is not out is because of the X 4.2 issue I
believe.  Complicated, but just chill... =)

~ Theo, the debian whore.

debian++

I wrote a little tips page today, which some people might like.
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hendry/content/tips.shtml

I have been subscribed to this list before, except I could not handle
the spam until i had a nice mutt/procmail setup. =)

I live (or my parents have retired) nr. Cardinham in the Bodmin area. I
will be home for the summer, I hope to attend a linux event while I am
there. Also as I am usually bored out of my little mind while at home,
if there is any little summer jobs in the area let me know, I would be
glad to help out.  http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hendry/cv/

Regards,
-Kai Hendry