Redhat 7.3 Was Re: [LUG] Hello

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Jon Still wrote:

Installed it, hated it, abandoned it!

Thought about it, looked at Redhat 7.3 CD's and installed that instead...

Just my first quick views on it, installer was very nice, probably the
best installer to date.  And I think it doesn't do anything to your
disks (including formatting) until, it has all the information it needs.
One little problem, is it decided to stick linear in the lilo.conf which
doesn't work on my SCSI system. (It may have been me checking/unchecking
the option)

But the first CD has a linux rescue mode which mounts all the partition's
and gives you a shell.  A quick edit of the lilo.conf file and re-running
lilo sorted that out.

I don't know what KDE3 is like, as I'm a Gnome fan these days - but
nothing has really changed there.  Probably one of the biggest changes is
the removal of linuxconf - a great little configuration tool that work in
X and in a console.  You could do quite a lot of things there - but all
the config tools are now seperate.  Anyone needing something for
configuring stuff can use setup, edit the files manually, or one other way
is to get hold of webmin, and install that.

I shall be upgrading my old trusty P2233-MMX server from Redhat 7.1 to 7.3
sometime - so I'll let you know how that goes.

Pete Hatton
E-mail:  pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage: http://www.monolight.org