Re: [LUG] Unknown BIOS password

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Simon Waters wrote:

HP still licence HP-UX software based on system ID, we all know
it is software programmable, but I've never seen anyone attempt
to make unauthorised copies of software by reprogramming it.
Irritatingly for disaster recovery work reseting the system ID
would be very handy, as it is otherwise required to relicence
such software, but HP wouldn't like that.

I think Veritas also licence software based on the hostid of the system
also.  One of the neat features of the Sun Netra X1 (and maybe other
machines) is that the hostid/mac address etc (usually stored on the nvram)
it sored on a smart card.  So in the case of a system failure you can put
the smart card in the new machine and the hostid/mac address remain the
same.

Alex.