Re: [LUG] Unknown BIOS password

Jon Still wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Ian P. Christian wrote:

Perhaps a little off topic, but I see no reason why manufacturers should
wise up to it.  Anyone who knows anything about hardware will know how
to get around the jumper anyway, so why hide it?

One of the more important rules of security is that physical security is
paramount - once a cracker has physical access to your machine he can do
as near as dammit anything.  Why bother trying to bypass a BIOS password
when you can just remove the HD?

As always it is a threat model - if you are trying to discourage
people from stealing your computer, or to discard it quickly
after stealing it, or just discourage your IT department from
accessing your PC unattended then a password on boot that isn't
easily bypassed is an excellent method.

If you care about data security (after physical security is
bypassed) than yes BIOS passwords aren't very useful, you need
to encrypt the data. For most thefts, especially laptops, I'd
guess the thieves are more interested in the value of the
computer, rather than the data, but unless we catch the majority
of them we'll never know for sure!

If every time they stole one they had to work out how to reset
the BIOS password, or replace/reflash the bios, some would go
back to stealing cars or jewelry ;)

Effectively it is a defence by obscurity, and of decreasing
utility in this Internet enabled age, but still not useless. I
can witness how many SUN Microsystem boxes were dumped because
the battery backed NVRAM devices failed, when all it required
was a spare battery and 5 lines of Boot prompt typing.

HP still licence HP-UX software based on system ID, we all know
it is software programmable, but I've never seen anyone attempt
to make unauthorised copies of software by reprogramming it.
Irritatingly for disaster recovery work reseting the system ID
would be very handy, as it is otherwise required to relicence
such software, but HP wouldn't like that.

This is why companies such as IBM and nCipher are now producing Hardware
Security Modules - basically a PCI card or drive-bay enclosure that is
used to store key-pairs.  These devices are generally tamper-resistant (or
at least tamper-evident) and once you've put the keys into the box you
*cannot* get them out.  Keys can only be reloaded into a box if you have a
certain number of smartcards that store key data.

I was taught about some similar stuff in the financial
transaction hardware at some banks back in the mid Eighties
(Acid and circuit boards don't mix). Although I've never found
anyone in the City who admits to using such sophisticated
tamperproof systems any more.