Re: Mandrake 8.1 Mouse was .... Re: [LUG] Crossover Office

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Simon Waters wrote:
was just admiring the bundled KWord, simple but all most people
need in a word processor.

That's what I thought, until I tried to print a KWord document,
and ended up cut-and-pasting into StarOffice.  Take care how much
effort you put into writing your docs!

The only things I use a word processor for are essays, and I usually just do
it in HTML - quicker then loading star office or kword up.

For the big long reports, articles etc, LaTeX is much faster, thanks to its
maths mode. Takes a little time to learn, but you can get very professional
looks after an hour or two invested in it (if you ever use scientific
notation, you'll save that straight away by avoiding tools/insert/special
character or whatever).

Of course, if you have a 5Pm deadline, and are walking across the main
carpark of exeter uni on the way to the engineering building, looking through
a 30 page report at 4:50PM, then notice that you didnt close a header tag on
page 24, you're screwed. 5 pages of talking about the network layer of the
OSI model, all in bold and centered!

HINT: dont leave things to last minute, and always check your work before
printing!