Re: [LUG] X-windows problems (rant)

Kai Hendry wrote:

On ti, touko 28, 2002 at 09:56:17 +0100, jody salt wrote:
I just got second hand pc (a p200 with 320 (I think)
of ram) which I want to run X-windows on, I have

320 RAM? A P200 is quite slow for running X. I hate seeing novices
recycling machines with linux and putting X on it. New machines are
really quite cheap. IMO it puts Linux in a bad light when people see
something like X+KDE for the first time on a struggling pentium.

I too think that the recycling old machine stuff is a bad move.
Those who said you could recycle old machines originally meant
as mail servers, DNS servers, file servers, that sort of thing.

Win95 is honestly better. :/

No it isn't. I have P200 equivalent machine (128MB of memory),
and it runs KDE 1 fine, I wouldn't want KDE 2 on it I suspect,
but other lighterweight Window managers should be fine.

A case of circa 95/98 OSes on circa 95/98 machines. This machine
is actually the minimum spec to run Microsoft Windows 2000
Advanced Server, but I decided Linux was more advanced, and less
resource hungry, and less buggy after I tried Advanced Server.
Mind W2K was a lot better than Win95/98/NT4.

Old machines are great for testing out the dark(console) side of linux.
mutt, irssi, vim and various services. :)

You can invert the console screen colours if it is too dark ;)
No need to stick with green on black either these days, but it
is traditional.