RE: [LUG] Squid Question

pookey@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Sorry it's a bit early... replace 'bind' with 'squid'
(dont know my name server from my web cache)

Quite an impressive mix up there :)

Firstly, I would check that squid is running.

# nmap localhost -p 1-65500
# nc localhost -p 3130

Talk breifly to it, just to see if Squid is playing friendly.

How do I do that then, ping a web page or something?

If squid is working, personally I would put in a ip[tables|chains] rule
to redirect all port 80 traffic though squid.

I think I'll do that, I want to use one pc as a proxy/gateway, and use a second pc
as a workstation getting web pages over a local network

I'm quite sure there is
an example of transparent proxying in the manual.

I had a look at 'man squid', and a summary was that the config file should be self
explainitory, looked at the config file, it's all written in network geekaneese
(which I dont speak too well), is there a squid idiot's guide or something?

thanks

Andy Weir