Re: [LUG] secure ftp?

Steve Marvell wrote:
On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:37:49AM +0100, jody salt wrote:

Hi there does any body out there know to set up a
secure ftp server, and also what client software
should/can I use (unfortunately the client software
has to be windows based :( ).

if that's a windows FTP client then smart-ftp for windows is really good - and its free - it was on the last PCPRO but is also avalaible over the web.

BTW - if you are using wu-ftp then it might be an idea to switch to proftp which is (apparently) more secure.

Does putty support scp?

Unfortunately one of my servers has been hacked into!!
twice by the same person!

You need a firewall, you do.

roger that - setting up ipchains or iptables properly should cover most stuff.

also - scan your own system to check for vulnerabilities - tools available are tiger, nabou and COPS.

next stage is to run programs which detect if your machine is being scanned - tools for this are klaxon, courtney, scanlogd, portsentry. these should give you some warnings and can automatically refuse access to ip addresses which are scanning you.

also check out bastille to harden your system and LIDS to protect root privileges.

a great book i would recommend is 'hacking linux exposed'.

good luck,

kev

Steve